Monday, May 21, 2007

is it truly possible . . .

to sum up these last two months? Doubtful, very doubtful . . . but I will give you my best attempt!

LOTS has happened in this time between posts . . . let's start with early April . . . my good friend Lisa Troyer came down to visit us during Semana Santa (Holy Week/Easter Week). It was so excellent to see her and just to spend time hanging out. She was an easy guest, because she's familiar with Latin America and so easy going!! We showed her our life here and also got to take a couple of short trips to see some new places. We checked out . . .

Arenal Volcano



& Jaco Beach

After that week, it was back to school . . . the month of April is kind of a blur, but I can say that classes have been going well. We're continuing to learn about our students and are trying to make English class as fun and helpful as possible (minus the tests that we kinda have to give). We finished the first trimester in early May. It's hard to believe we're already into the second trimester - I think this year is just going to fly by.

Here are some of Bryan's students doing a Mock Trial (it was free uniform day, so some are in uniform and some aren't).



Bryan & I are continuing to find our niche at the school. In addition to the chapel services we've been helping with, we're finding that God is leading us to new areas. I think I've mentioned that Bryan is working on establishing a basketball team. It is of course a little difficult just because of the de-emphasis on school sports here and the lack of commitment because other things become more important. But if I can say, I think he is enjoying the time with the small groups of high school guys. I've also been given an excellent opportunity to spend time with some of our high school girls. Another English teacher, Kristin, and I are leading a bible study now once a week for the girls. We are divided into 2 groups . . . 7th & 8th grade on Fridays and then 9th, 10th, & 11th grade on Mondays. Kristin normally leads the younger group and I take on the older girls. It has truly been a blessing. To be honest, we often arrive after classes tired and not in the mood to lead anything else, but the girls make it all worthwhile. I think they'll be teaching us more than we end up teaching them. Nevertheless, it is a really great time of sharing and learning. As per the girls' requests, we are going to start studying women of the Bible next week. They have also decided that they will do their part by bringing a song to share at the beginning of the study. Please pray that the Lord will continue to provide opportunities to share with the girls and also that He will lead us as we discuss different themes.

I feel like we've grown a lot since we've gotten here. Other than the obvious like learning how to teach English, learning how to live in CR, making new friends, etc, it's kind of hard to describe. Personally, I can tell you that God continues to work on me in areas of sacrifice, patience, and contentment. I'm learning to trust Him with my whole life and not just little parts at a time. I, however, am a very slow and stubborn learner. I've always thought that trust was easy until I began this new lifestyle. Sometimes I think about the possibility of Him asking us to stay here forever. It can be kinda scary but at the same time I'm learning to live for each day . . . instead of worrying or planning for the future. In the meantime, we have lots of exciting things to look forward to in the near future, like . . .

Seeing family & friends this December (especially these two guys)

(How could you not miss them??)

Helping out with an international exchange trip to Chicago in January (very excited about this!)

Well, I could probably write a lot more, but I'll spare you. We pray that you are all doing well and enjoying your nice warm weather that you've been waiting for!! Thanks for everything!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's great to get an update! It sounds like you both have your hands full! And it sounds like you are making a difference, one life, one day at a time. Moments. Like Pierce Pettis says, that's what it's really all about. Thanks for the nuggets of information.

Anne Marie said...

any updates? :)